Potato Squash Casserole Recipe
Butternut squash teams up with sliced potatoes and flavorful pork sausage in this hearty autumn casserole. The rich, creamy cheese sauce adds to the down-home taste. -Peggy Burdick, Burlington, Michigan
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the potatoes, squash and water. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place half of the mixture in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Crumble sausage over potato mixture. Top with onion and remaining potato mixture.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup cream until smooth; stir in remaining cream. Pour over potato mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC