Potato Spinach Pie Recipe
I combined two recipes to come up with this dish that's terrific for either brunch or dinner. Reduced-fat cheese, egg whites and a shredded-potato crust help lighten it up. &$151;Lola Kauffmann of Goshen, Indiana
- 3 cups coarsely shredded peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a bowl, combine the potatoes, 4 teaspoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce temperature to 350°.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. In a bowl, combine the spinach, Swiss cheese, milk, eggs, egg whites, oregano, nutmeg, onion and remaining salt. Pour into crust.
- 3. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top begins to brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 251 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 555mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Potato Spinach Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC