Potato Spinach Gratin Recipe
Since my family loves spinach, I knew this tender potato casserole would be a hit. It accompanies many of our meaty meals.—Nellie Runne, Rockford, Illinois
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 pounds medium potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large skillet, saute shallots in butter until tender. Add the spinach, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg.
- 2. In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, 1/3 cup cheese and half of spinach mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cheese.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, milk, cream and remaining salt and pepper until smooth. Pour milk mixture over cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
2/3 cup: 218 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Potato Spinach Gratin
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC