- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup cream until smooth; add to slow cooker. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, bacon, cilantro and remaining cream.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Potato Soup
"I followed directions, this soup was not good and I'm being cordial. Pulled the leftover soup out of the fridge to heat up later and it had set up like jello due to all the flour used as the thickening agent. That is gross since this is supposed to be soup? Also agree, very bland could taste no seasoning including the cilantro. The onion flavor was overwhelming. Unhealthy soup, that's my last attempt at potato soup!"
"Creamy and hearty. The whole family loved it."
"I know this one is going to be AWESOME, simply love potato soup!!!"
"I made this soup today for my family and they loved it! The only difference was I used fat free half and half instead of heavy cream, since that is what I had on hand and to cut down on the calories, cubed ham instead of the bacon and carrots to replace the peppers. I didn't add any extra spices and it wasn't bland as others have stated. It is so hearty and flavorful, the cilantro is a must! Thanks for the recipe, will definitely make this again!"
"~My entire family LOVED this soup! Other than switching out the peppers for a carrot (personal taste), I completely followed the recipe and we couldn't be happier! It is flavorful and rich, and really hits the spot. I will use the bread bowls next time and then this wonderful soup will be better than Panera Bread's!! Yes, it IS that good. It's a keeper!"