Potato Soup with Sausage Recipe
My great-grandmother passed on this soup to her family generations. In the 1880s, it was a popular meal after a hard day in the field—hardy to satisfy the most ravenous appetite and delicious, too!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sliced green beans, partially cooked
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, brown sausage over medium heat. Remove sausage to paper towels to drain. Drain skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute the celery, onion, thyme and salt in the reserved drippings until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and water, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- 2. Add potatoes; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 3. In blender, cover and process 2 cups soup mixture until smooth; return to kettle. Add the milk, beans and sausage; heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC