Potato Soup with Sausage
My great-grandmother passed on this soup to her family generations.
In the 1880s, it was a popular meal after a hard day in the fieldhardy to satisfy the most ravenous appetite and delicious, too!
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sliced green beans, partially cooked
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a heavy saucepan, brown sausage over medium heat. Remove sausage
- to paper towels to drain. Drain skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon
- drippings. Saute the celery, onion, thyme and salt in the reserved
- drippings until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add
- broth and water, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add potatoes; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are
- tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In blender, cover and process 2 cups soup mixture until smooth;
- return to kettle. Add the milk, beans and sausage; heat through.