Potato Smashers Recipe
- 6 small red potatoes (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 center-cut bacon strips
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- 1. Place potatoes in a small microwave-safe dish; add water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-9 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- 3. With the bottom of a glass, flatten potatoes to 1/2-in. thickness. In the same skillet coated with cooking spray, cook potatoes in dressing over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- 4. Turn potatoes; sprinkle with cheese and reserved bacon. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
3 potatoes (calculated without sour cream) equals 224 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.