Potato Rolls Recipe
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without added milk and butter)
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, shortening and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add mashed potatoes and eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down. Divide in half. Shape each portion into 12 balls. Roll each ball into an 8-in. rope; tie into a knot. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; tuck ends under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Potato Rolls(4)
Sort By :
EXCELLENT rolls! I've now made these 3 times & tweeked the recipe a tad! Used 8 Tablespoons butter & 3 T. crisco for the shortening...Also added 2 T. honey to the hot milk, used potato water for the 1/2 cup of water..Oil your hands well at last stage to easily work dough instead of adding more flour..I highly suggest lining baking pans w/ parchment paper as rolls brown quicky on bottoms..I also baked them @ 350 degrees...Family loved these rolls!
I used half of the dough for rolls and refrigerated the other half over night and the next morning I made cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I rolled the dough out to 1/8 of and inch and sprinkled with sugar then pressed raisens into the dough ( I soaked the raisens in warm water first) brushed the dough down with melted butter then I applied about 3/4 cup of brown sugar to the dough. I rolled up the dough and then cut into 2 inch pieces. Placed the dough pieces into a greased muffin pan. Mashed the dough down. Let the dough rise 2 hrs and baked. I frosted the top with a mixture of power sugar and a couple table spoons of butter with a couple table spoons of milk. My cinnamon rolls were delicious.
This is the roll recipe that I've been looking for. Very gooood. The timing for this recipe is great. I made the dough this morning refrigerated and shaped 2 hours before dinner. We had hot delicious rolls fresh out of the oven for dinner. If you like this recipe try the recipe for glazed potatoe donuts. yummie...
I'm surprised that no one has reviewed this recipe yet. It was fantastic!! It's my new roll recipe for every occasion. I used butter flavor crisco and the butter flavor really came through. The only thing I'd advise is, don't try to double it. You need a bath tub and a boat paddle to mix it, there is so much dough!
The dough is a bit sticky when first mixed, but refrigerating it makes it easer to handle and most of the work is done the day before. They were huge and so light and fluffy!!
I'm really into whole grains, so next time I'll try using at least half whole wheat.