Potato Refrigerator Rolls Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (made with fat-free milk)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 4 teaspoons toasted wheat germ
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the mashed potatoes, butter, sugar, molasses, egg, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 3. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal; set aside. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Brush rolls with milk; sprinkle with wheat germ. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 129 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Potato Refrigerator Rolls
"These rolls were hearty and delicious; perfect for serving along with soup or chili!"