Potato Pork Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked pork
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Mash potatoes with the cream, 2 tablespoons butter, salt and pepper. Spread 1-1/2 cups of mashed potatoes into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth, mustard, thyme and 2 tablespoons parsley. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pork; heat through. Pour over the potato crust.
- Pipe or spoon remaining mashed potatoes over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until the potatoes are lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Potato Pork Pie
Sort By :
Finally I found the perfect recipe for hamburger gravy! Instead of whipping cream in the mashed potatoes I used about 1/3 cup sour cream and about 3 tablespoons of butter and about 2 tablespoons milk. I used 2 cups of beef broth instead of canned (I don't know if that is the equivalent to 2 14 1/2 oz. cans though.) Instead of pork, I used ground beef. I personally didn't really like the mustard in this recipe, I will probably omit it next time. To make it simpler, I just layered all the mashed potatoes on the bottom and topped it with the beef gravy. It was delicious and just as good left over!
A little bit of work, what with the homemade mashed potatoes, but OH SO GOOD! It might lose something in the translation to use instant mashed, but my family loved this recipe. I added a little garlic powder to the mashed potatoes.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Casseroles >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >