Potato Pockets Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes, julienned
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or cheddar cheese
- 1. Divide the potatoes, carrots and onion equally among four pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Top with butter; sprinkle with salt if desired and pepper. Bring opposite short ends of foil together over vegetables and fold down several times. Fold unsealed ends toward vegetables and crimp tightly.
- 2. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender. Remove from grill. Open foil and sprinkle with cheese; reseal Let stand for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Yield: 4 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine and low-fat cheddar cheese and without salt) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 238 calories, 92 mg sodium, 10 mg cholesterol, 33 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm protein, 9 gm fat.
Reviews for Potato Pockets
"I left out the carrots and it was wonderful."
"Instead of using butter, we usually spray the aluminum foil with nonstick spray. This cuts out some of the fat and none of the flavor!"
"Our family frequently eats potato pockets alongside grilled chicken, burgers, or steaks. It's a creative way to have potatoes and it's nice not to have to heat up the stove or oven to make them."