We grew our own potatoes on the small farm in New Hampshire where I was raised. These pancakes are very good served with any pork dish.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups finely shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- Applesauce or maple syrup, optional
- In a sieve or colander, drain potatoes, squeezing to remove excess
- liquid. Pat dry; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in
- eggs until blended. Add onion and reserved potatoes; toss to coat.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a preheated greased skillet. Fry in
- batches until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with applesauce or syrup if desired.
- Yield: 12 (2-inch) pancakes.
Nutritional Facts: One pancake (with no added salt) equals 77 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 21 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.