Potato Onion Supreme Recipe
I'm a pastor's wife, and I often find myself cooking for large groups. I first put together Potato Onion Supreme for a wedding shower dinner when our organist's son got married. Afterward, I had three requests for the recipe! This dish is fast and easy, so it's nice for adding a festive touch to a Sunday dinner. But it's equally at home at church potlucks or Grange socials.
- 8 medium potatoes (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Cook potatoes; peel and slice 1/4 in. thick. Set aside. Place onions, water and bouillon in a saucepan; bring to a boil, then simmer 5-7 minutes or until onions are tender. Drain and set aside. Combine cheese and sour cream.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half the potatoes, onions and cheese mixture. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Combine crumbs and butter; top potato mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with minced fresh parsley and several onion rings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Potato Onion Supreme in Country Woman September/October 1990, p31
Reviews for Potato Onion Supreme(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2014
The flavor is amazing. And they are just as good, if not better, the next day! Definitely try this recipe!!!
Reviewed Nov. 12, 2008
I used this recipe along with some barbeque ribs and a toss salad for a special birthday party. The casserole got rave review. Thanks
More Recipe Collections
- Au Gratin Potatoes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Potato Casseroles >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >