- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 7 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions over medium heat in oil for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same kettle, brown beef; drain. Add the water, potatoes, vinegar, bouillon, salt, pepper and reserved onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in parsley. Ladle into ovenproof bowls. Top each with Swiss cheese, a slice of bread and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until cheeses are bubbly. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Potato Onion Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p22
Reviews for Potato Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review