Potato Nests with Peas
I SERVE potatoes with just about every meal. Besides using this recipe as a side dish, I discovered I could serve it as a main dish for a lighter meal. It satisfies the appetite well, especially for us older folks.
A dear friend shared this recipe with me several years ago.
-Margery Bryan, Royal City, Washington
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Dash dill weed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
- In a bowl, combine potatoes and egg yolk; mix well. Stir in the
- Spoon two mounds onto a greased baking sheet. With the back of a
- spoon, shape each mound into a 4-in. nest. Sprinkle with dill; dot
- with butter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes
- are golden brown. Fill nest with peas. Bake 10 minutes longer or
- until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 288 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 144 mg cholesterol, 738 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein.