Potato Minestrone Recipe
Let the aroma of this savory soup waft through your home while you get ready for the holidays. "I only have to slice some bread and prepare a salad to have dinner ready," writes Paula Zsiray of Logan Utah. "For a thicker soup, mash half of the garbanzo beans before adding them to the slow cooker."
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in the spinach, peas and carrots; heat thorough. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
One serving (1 cup) equals 172 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 943 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC