Potato-Lentil Stew Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 3-1/2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and carrots in oil for 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and oregano; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in broth and lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 22 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the tomatoes, potatoes, beans, salt and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-2/3 cups equals 295 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,478 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.