Potato-Leek Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/3 cups cubed carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- In a large Dutch oven, saute leeks in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add potatoes, celery, carrots, 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour, pepper and remaining salt until smooth; gradually add the milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into vegetables. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Potato-Leek Soup(12)
Sort By :
This is our new favorite soup! I've made it several times and it's always a hit. I've made it using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth for friends who are vegetarian. Also I usually add about 1 cup of half and half along with the milk. Otherwise it's great just the way it is!
This soup turned out delicious! Very simple to prepare and tasted wonderful! I took my time making it, as I was preparing other dishes as well. A definate addition to my recipe collection!
This made a nice pot of soup. I used 2 cups chicken stock in place of the water. Very tasty!
Ditto what cad222 wrote! This went over well with us all...even my husband who is not normally a fan of soup. He says "this one has some substance!" We will be making it again for sure. (I omitted the carrots and garnished with a little shredded cheese & crumbled bacon.)
Made this tonight with fresh potatoes, leeks, and carrots from my garden. It turned out great. Good fall comfort food!