Potato-Leek Soup Recipe
This savory soup is a dish we especially enjoy for dinner on a cold night. Served with hot homemade bread or rolls, it's delicious.—Patricia Wells, Riverhead, New York
- 1-1/2 cups sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/3 cups cubed carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, saute leeks in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add potatoes, celery, carrots, 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour, pepper and remaining salt until smooth; gradually add the milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into vegetables. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup equals 298 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 774 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC