- 1-1/2 cups sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/3 cups cubed carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- In a large Dutch oven, saute leeks in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add potatoes, celery, carrots, 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour, pepper and remaining salt until smooth; gradually add the milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into vegetables. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Potato-Leek Soup
"This is a great soup. It's quick, easy, and flavourful. It is definitely a keeper."
"First time making it tonite--very nummy! Used chicken broth in place of water and added a small chunk of leftover cooked ham that I chopped/diced up. Pretty simple to prepare. Made quite a full pot....looking forward to sharing it with other family and friends."
"This soup turned out delicious! Very simple to prepare and tasted wonderful! I took my time making it, as I was preparing other dishes as well. A definate addition to my recipe collection!"
"This made a nice pot of soup. I used 2 cups chicken stock in place of the water. Very tasty!"
"Ditto what cad222 wrote! This went over well with us all...even my husband who is not normally a fan of soup. He says "this one has some substance!" We will be making it again for sure. (I omitted the carrots and garnished with a little shredded cheese & crumbled bacon.)"
"Made this tonight with fresh potatoes, leeks, and carrots from my garden. It turned out great. Good fall comfort food!"
"This was good, but it needed more liquid and we didn't even add the celery. We also left out the bouillon cubes because we didn't have any. This was a great use of the leeks I found - prewashed, prechopped, and frozen for 1 Euro for a kilogram."
"We love this soup, I've made it 3 times in the last month. I use the Knorr homestyle stock concentrate instead of boullion and it is really delicious."