When autumn falls upon Fountain Valley, California, Susan Pursell simmers up this comforting soup. The hearty sausage slices, white kidney beans and colorful kale will keep your gang asking for seconds.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat fully cooked Polish sausage or turkey kielbasa, sliced
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes slightly. Add the kale, beans and sausage; cook over medium-low heat until kale is tender. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Kale Soup in Light & Tasty October 2005, p57
Reviews for Potato Kale Sausage Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review