As a holiday kickoff, my family gets together in early December for a hearty brunch before going out to cut our Christmas trees. This flavorful breakfast pie, assembled in layers, was a big hit at last year's gathering. -Shelly Rynearson, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
- 1 package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups sliced red potatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons water
- Dash each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 12-in. square. Place one square in a 10-in. quiche dish; set dish and remaining pastry aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add potatoes, onion, salt and pepper; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, parsley, water, salt and pepper. In a 10-in. skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter; add half of the egg mixture. Cook over medium heat. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Continue cooking until set. Slide omelet onto a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining butter and egg mixture to make a second omelet.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over prepared pastry. Top with one omelet and half of the potato mixture. Layer with ham and the remaining potato mixture, cheese, omelet and puff pastry. Trim pastry to fit dish; seal and flute edges.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Potato Ham Omelet Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p37
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Potato Ham Omelet Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review