"My father was Italian and made this traditional dish when company visited," shares Ruth Fiori Poyner of Boise, Idaho. "The tender, homemade pasta is as tantalizing today as it was when I was a child."
8 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 quarts water
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, flour and salt. In
- another bowl, whisk the eggs, yolk and olive oil; add to potato
- mixture. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead for 3-5 minutes
- or until smooth. Divide into fourths. On a floured surface, roll
- each portion into 3/4-in.-thick ropes; cut into 1-in. pieces.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for
- 45-60 seconds or until they rise to the surface. Remove with a
- strainer. Serve spaghetti sauce over gnocchi; sprinkle with Parmesan
- cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup gnocchi with 1/3 cup sauce equals 283 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 934 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.