Potato Gnocchi Recipe
"My father was Italian and made this traditional dish when company visited," shares Ruth Fiori Poyner of Boise, Idaho. "The tender, homemade pasta is as tantalizing today as it was when I was a child."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 quarts water
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, flour and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, yolk and olive oil; add to potato mixture. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead for 3-5 minutes or until smooth. Divide into fourths. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 3/4-in.-thick rope; cut into 1-in. pieces.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 45-60 seconds or until they rise to the surface. Remove with a strainer. Serve spaghetti sauce over gnocchi; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup gnocchi with 1/3 cup sauce equals 283 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 934 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC