Potato Dumplings Recipe
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 slices white bread, toasted
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes, optional
- Melted butter and toasted bread crumbs, optional
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Peel and grate potatoes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, egg, salt and nutmeg. Add potatoes and mix until a stiff batter is formed, adding additional flour if necessary.
- Slice toasted bread into 24 squares, 1/2-in. each; shape 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture around two bread squares, forming a 2-in. ball.
- In a large stock pot, bring salted water to a boil; add the test dumpling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until dumpling is no longer sticky in the center.
- If test dumpling falls apart during cooking, add the mashed potato flakes to the batter. Let batter sit for 5 minutes; form remaining dumplings. Add to boiling water; return to a boil and follow the same cooking procedure.
- Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon to a serving bowl. If desired, drizzle with butter and sprinkle with crumbs. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Potato Dumplings
Sort By :
"Aaargh, what went wrong? I followed the recipe exactly, and they were pleasantly flavoured but had a horrible texture. I made the beef rouladen that goes with them and that was wonderful, so I'm confused."
"I'd like to try this recipe. Woulkd deep frying, or cooking in a bit of oil in a skillet work?"