- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (without milk or seasoning)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Combine all dumpling ingredients; spoon into a large pastry bag, half at a time, fitted with large plain tube (opening should be about 1/2 in. diameter). Bring 5 qts. of salted water to a boil in a large stock pot, then adjust heat so water bubbles very gently.
- Squeeze out dumplings over simmering water, cutting with scissors at 1-in. intervals and letting drop into water. Simmer, uncovered, until dumplings float, then simmer 1 minute more. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain and keep warm in a 2-qt. baking dish.
- For the sauce, saute onion in butter until tender. Blend in flour. Add cream and broth all at once. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour over dumplings; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly and golden brown on top. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forPotato Dumpling Casserole
"As is, I would only give this one star because the dumplings turn out soft and kind of mushy. I'm used to the Norwegian dumplings my in-laws make which are super dense; more pasta-like than bread-like. So, I ended up adding 3-4 times the amount of flour called for (until dough wasn't very sticky but still held together) and rolled the dough into 2 inch balls. I followed the rest of the recipe completely and it was a SMASH HIT with the family. I have twin 14 month olds and a 21/2 year old and they devoured it! The sauce is AMAZING!"
"OMG is this ever a comfort food ! Dumplings of any sort are the "Mac & Cheese" for my family of German heritage. The dumplings were very tender & the sauce put it over the top for us. I wouldn't change a thing."
"My family thought it was wonderful and is a keeper."
"It was a very yummy casserole. Great comfort food. I think I will tweak the dumplings, maybe add a little something. But I will definitely make this again!"