- 1 large potato, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash rubbed sage
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, toss potato slices with oil, salt and pepper. Arrange slices onto the bottom and sides of an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until potato is tender. Reduce heat to 350°.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove from skillet. In the same skillet, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in vegetables, seasonings and chicken. Spoon into potato crust.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Potato-Crusted Chicken Casserole
"This is a wonderfully-tasting recipe! However, as other reviewers have noted, it does take an awfully long time to prepare. I started early to do all the prep work, and it still took me the better part of TWO HOURS before it went in the oven for the final part. Key thing is to do as much of the prep work and gathering of ingredients together as possible before getting started. Since I also decided to use two 8x8 pans so I had the 2nd pan for the next night's leftovers, I doubled the amount of the crumb topping so there would be enough for both pans. I was extra generous with the amount of the thyme, basil and sage."
"This is a winner! I love the potato crust because potatoes are my favorite part of any meal, so I sliced them a little thicker, the combination of the three cheeses too was wonderful! For the breadcrumbs I used Panko and mixed them with the melted butter and the garlic powder. My husband and daughter both told me that this recipe is a keeper. So this is going into my special file of most loved recipes."
"I liked this recipe a lot. I thought it was easy to make because it was a one dish meal. I don't like thyme or basil so I left all of those seasonings out and used a product I found at the health food store called "Vegesal". I can't cook anything without it!"
"I made this dish last night and it was excellent. It does take a while to prepare since there are two parts to the recipe. I will make this again but because my husband is not fond of cream sauces, I will only prepare it occasionally. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor"
"Love this Recipe! Have also made it for friends who just had babies, both have asked for the recipe. I just up the veggies to 3 cups."
"Full of flavor and a family favorite! The crumb topping really makes this dish and can be made with any type of bread. This recipe is also very flexible. I've used leftover turkey and grilled chicken in place of the tenderloins. One time I replaced the mozzarella with light Swiss cheese and another time added additional vegetables such as green beans and corn. All worked wonderfully. My family isn't a huge fan of thyme, so I reduced to 1/4 teaspoon. Sometimes I double and freeze so I have a fast, nutritious dinner I can pop in the oven mid-week."
"I used leftover cooked chicken for this and I used fresh carrots. Other than that, I followed the recipe. It smelled delicious, but only tasted good. I don't know if I will make this again or not. I didn't mind the work, but I didn't think the results were that fantastic although I liked the fact that it was healthy."