- 1 large potato, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash rubbed sage
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, toss potato slices with oil, salt and pepper. Arrange slices onto the bottom and sides of an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until potato is tender. Reduce heat to 350°.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove from skillet. In the same skillet, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in vegetables, seasonings and chicken. Spoon into potato crust.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Potato-Crusted Chicken Casserole
Sort By :
"I also didn't know what soft bread crumbs were. I had Italian bread crumbs on hand, so I used those. I would use less of them if I were to do it over. It felt like we were digging through sand. Otherwise it was tasty. I like the cheese sauce."
"This is a winner! I love the potato crust because potatoes are my favorite part of any meal, so I sliced them a little thicker, the combination of the three cheeses too was wonderful! For the breadcrumbs I used Panko and mixed them with the melted butter and the garlic powder. My husband and daughter both told me that this recipe is a keeper. So this is going into my special file of most loved recipes."
"I liked this recipe a lot. I thought it was easy to make because it was a one dish meal. I don't like thyme or basil so I left all of those seasonings out and used a product I found at the health food store called "Vegesal". I can't cook anything without it!"
"I made this dish last night and it was excellent. It does take a while to prepare since there are two parts to the recipe. I will make this again but because my husband is not fond of cream sauces, I will only prepare it occasionally. Here is the link to my review and photos:http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/29/p/882548/7616119.aspx#7616119"
"Love this Recipe! Have also made it for friends who just had babies, both have asked for the recipe. I just up the veggies to 3 cups."