Potato-Crab Cakes with Lime Butter Recipe
Very special, easy and absolutely delectable, these golden brown patties boast a citrusy lime butter topping—and loads of flavor. Emory Doty - Jasper, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- LIME BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, egg, 1 tablespoon bread crumbs, onion, parsley, lime juice, salt and pepper. Gently stir in the crab. Shape into 12 patties.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and remaining bread crumbs. Coat patties with crumb mixture.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°.
- 4. Fry crab cakes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Combine the butter, lime juice and peel. Serve with crab cakes. Yield: 1 dozen (1/2 cup butter).
1 crab cake with 2 teaspoons butter equals 200 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC