Potato Corn Chowder
No one would guess that this hearty, chunky soup from our Test Kitchen is made with tofu and soy milk. Even folks who don’t have a problem with lactose will eat it up!
2 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium red potato, diced
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup silken firm tofu
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, saute the corn, onion and peppers in oil until
- onion is tender. Add potato and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Process tofu in a blender until smooth. Gradually stir tofu and soy
- milk into soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with
- salt and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 189 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber,