Potato Clam Chowder
I ran across this recipe in one of my antique cookbooks. It's a timeless classic I like to prepare for friends and family throughout the year, but especially during the holidays.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a 3-qt. saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove
- bacon; set aside. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add flour;
- stir until smooth. Drain clams, reserving juice; set clams aside.
- Gradually add water and clam juice to pan; cook and stir over medium
- heat until smooth and bubbly. Add salt, thyme, savory, pepper and
- potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25
- minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring often. Add bacon,
- clams, milk and parsley; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 178 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 402 mg sodium,