Potato Chive Soup
The homespun flavor in every spoonful of this delicate cream soup disguises its easy preparation. Based on a favorite restaurant soup, this version comes in handy when there are extra mashed potatoes from a holiday meal. —Linda Harrington, Hudson, New Hampshire
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh chives
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half cream
- Oyster crackers, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion; cook
- and stir until crisp-tender. Add chives; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in broth and potatoes.
- In a blender or food processor, process mixture in batches until
- smooth. Return to the pan; stir in cream. Heat through (do not
- boil). Serve with crackers if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without crackers) equals 293 calories, 25 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 791 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.