Potato Cheese Soup
My father was Swiss, so cheese has been a basic food in our family as long as I can remember. With its big cheese taste, you'll want to prepare this soup often. A steaming bowl plus a salad and a slice of bread makes a wonderful light meal. Carol Smith, New Berlin, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring potatoes, onion, water and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Do not
- drain; mash slightly. Stir in milk.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend the butter, flour, parsley and
- pepper; stir into the potato mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and
- stir until almost melted. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 291 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 565 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.