- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, potatoes, bacon, butter, eggs, sugar, onion, caraway seeds, garlic salt, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each into a round loaf. Place in two greased 2-qt. round baking dishes with straight sides. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking dishes to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Potato Casserole Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p61
Reviews for Potato Casserole Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review