Potato Bratwurst Skillet Recipe
- 3 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 5 fully cooked bratwurst links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a skillet, bring potatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add bratwurst, apples, onion and salt; cook for 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and broth has evaporated.
- 2. Push bratwurst mixture to the sides of pan. Place sugar in the center of pan; cook until sugar is melted and golden brown. Add butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Toss with the bratwurst mixture; serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 266 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Potato Bratwurst Skillet
"I had some brats I didn't want to waste and found this via a google search. I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I have to admit I had to make a few changes based on what I had in the house. I didn't have potatoes except in the pantry in a can. So I used canned potatoes - I know gross. Anyway, I used 2 cans which was too much. I used 5 brats- just what I had. I also added about a quarter of a small head of cabbage because I love it with pork, and I needed to use it up. I prefer eating Brat with a lot of mustard so I did serve it with mustard. This means I usually had the veggies and fruit in a bite with no meat. I also did use the entire amounts of butter and sugar, maybe because I had too many potatoes. I also failed to have tart apples on hand, so after I diced the apples I used a half of a lime to juice them so they also didn't brown. My husband and I liked it - my 20 year old daughters would not try it."
"Very Good! Used 3 brats and added mushrooms and kale. Used brown sugar. Left the apples unpeeled. Cut the butter and sugar in half. Whole family liked it."
"We had leftover bratwurst and I was looking all over for a recipe to make with them. I ended up adding more broth and next time I think I am going to add another apple. Husband said it was amazing."
"I am new to cooking, and wasnt sure about the sweetness, but this was delicious!!! I used a little less sugar and butter but otherwise the recipe didnt need anything! Amazing!"
"I made this last night. My 5-yr old licked the plate. It was good.Perfect for camping leftovers. I had 4 bratwurst, and six potatoes, three about medium and three small - they weighed 1 pound together. The recipe turned out fine.I had never tried to melt sugar before and I added the butter before the sugar melted and turned golden brown, the bratwurst mixture on the edges was getting too dry and dark. Next time, I'm going to clear a spot along a side, more directly over the burner instead of in the center. The recipe turned out fine with my tinkering and adjustments."