Potato Beef Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and celery leaves over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Place half of the potatoes in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired. Top with half of the beef mixture.
- 2. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 400° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with lean ground beef and reduced-fat soup and without salt) equals 353 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 428 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 2 starch.