This comforting casserole from Sandra Jongs of Abbotsford, British Columbia is a snap to prepare. "To give this meat-and-potatoes meal a flavorful change of pace, I sometimes use cream of chicken soup instead," she adds.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and celery leaves over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Place half of the potatoes in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired. Top with half of the beef mixture.
- Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 400° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Potato Beef Casserole in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p47
Reviews for Potato Beef Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review