Potato-Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the water, potatoes, tomatoes, soy sauce, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Return to a boil; stir in beans and barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until beans and barley are tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups equals 217 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 568 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.