Potato-Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the water, potatoes, tomatoes, soy sauce, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Return to a boil; stir in beans and barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until beans and barley are tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Potato-Beef Barley Soup(4)
Sort By :
This is the first review I have ever written where I could almost say "see other reviews" but I made the soup in almost the same manner they did. I used turkey instead of ground beef, skipped the salt in everything, including adding canned tomatoes with no-salt added. I added extra barley and not too many potatoes. I did also add 1/2 c frozen peas because I'm always sneaking in more veggies and I served each bowl with a dollop of sour cream in the middle. It was great.
Have many beef barley soup recipes but with the addition of the potato, I just had to try it. It is now a favorite that we will make often. It is just wonderful!!!
I have made this soup several times. I am a former soup-hater, but this has reformed my tastes. I use ground turkey instead of the beef and add extra barley at my husband's request. This soup is also guest-approved and I wouldn't hesitate to serve it to company again.
I made this as directed (except my pepper was red because we like them better, and skipped the salt in everything), and it was really good. The only change I will make is to use half the potatoes and twice the barley.
More Recipe Collections
- Barley Soup >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Soup >