Potato Bacon Chowder Recipe
This chowder is like a bacon-topped baked potato in a bowl. On cold winter days, my family is thrilled to see this meal on the table. —Jacque Manning, Burbank, South Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain and set aside.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute onion and celery in drippings until tender; drain. Add to undrained potatoes. Stir in the soup, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until heated through (do not boil).
- 4. Crumble bacon; set aside 1/4 cup. Add remaining bacon to soup along with parsley. Sprinkle with reserved bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 389 calories, 29 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 869 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC