Potato Apple Pancakes
This was my grandpa's favorite recipe to make on St. Patrick's Day morning - I can smell the aroma of cooking pancakes just talking about them! We often used the leftovers to make meat or cheese roll-ups. As you can imagine, we always urged Grandpa to make plenty of these!
5-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 2 medium apples, peeled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Sour cream, optional
- Finely shred potatoes and apples; pat dry. Place in a bowl; add the
- eggs, onion, flour and salt and mix well.
- In a skillet, heat 1/4 to 1/2 in. oil over medium-high heat. Drop
- batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form 3-in.
- pancakes. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook the other side.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with sour cream if desired.
- Yield: 10-12 pancakes.