Potato and Squash Casserole Recipe
—Tommy Haigler, Lexington, North Carolina
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place the potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add squash; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain. Place potatoes and squash in a bowl; mash.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter. Add to potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish (dish will be full). Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 312 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 462 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC