Potato and Cheese Pancakes Recipe
"I enjoy these crispy pancakes with steak, asparagus and a Caesar salad," writes Otto Woltersdorf Jr. from his home in Chalfont, Pennsylvania. With flavored cream cheese, Swiss cheese and a hint of cayenne pepper, they're sure to be popular at your house, too.
- 4 medium uncooked baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup canola oil
- Peel and grate potatoes; drain on paper towels. Squeeze dry and set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and flour until smooth. Stir in the egg, cream, onion salt and cayenne until blended. Stir in potatoes and cheese.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls into skillet; press lightly to flatten. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange patties in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze overnight or until thoroughly frozen. Place in a resealable plastic bag. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
- To use frozen potato pancakes: Place frozen pancakes on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 16 pancakes.
Originally published as Potato Pancakes in Quick Cooking September/October 2002, p21
Reviews for Potato and Cheese Pancakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review