Potato and Cabbage Soup Recipe
I traced this hearty soup recipe to my great-grandmother, whose parents were potato farmers in Ireland. My mom served many a bowlful of this soup while I was growing up, and I've done the same for my family.—Pat Rimmel, Ford City, Pennsylvania
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 cups water
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the water, cabbage, potatoes, bouillon, pepper and garlic. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in ham; heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 131 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 1,078 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Potato and Cabbage Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC