- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound red potatoes (about 5 small), thinly sliced
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, saute onion and rosemary in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same skillet, cook potatoes in 2 tablespoons butter until tender and golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese and onion mixture. Melt remaining butter in the skillet; tilt pan to evenly coat. Add egg mixture. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until nearly set.
- Top with potatoes; bake for 3-5 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Potato & Red Onion Frittata
"This was a great recipe! Mine took longer for the eggs to set, but it was worth it. I used regular onion, regular potatoes (salted and peppered) cooked in oil, white sharp cheddar cheese, and 1/4 tsp of rosemary. I added some chopped ham when I put that potatoes in towards the end of cooking and it added great flavor."
"One of my favorite frittatas. I substituted shallots for the red onion for a milder flavor. Delicious!"
"this was wonderful! i made it a classic frittata and it came out beautifully. i included about 6 strips bacon that needed eating and next time i might include more veggies like peppers, mushrooms,corn or peas. also i will do this as written just to see the difference."
"Only change is put both onions and potatoes on the bottom. It forms a nice sturdy base."
"This was pretty good. I do wish it was not as greasy though....next time I will use a bit of canola oil or cooking spray instead of ALL THAT BUTTER. I made this out of the "best loved recipes" cookbook. I think this would be a 4 or 5 star recipe to me w/out all that butter."