Pot Roast with Spaghetti Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked and drained
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Heat oil and butter in a Dutch oven; brown roast on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- 2. Add the garlic, onion and seasonings to the pan. Cook slowly for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in water and tomato paste. Return roast to Dutch oven and spoon sauce over it.
- 3. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove roast; cut into slices. Serve with spaghetti and sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
One serving equals 473 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 560 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 41 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.