These soft, buttery cutouts are always a hit, plus you can flavor the dough any way you like. I've used almonds, walnuts…even maraschino cherries. —Kerry Barnett-Amundson, Ocean Park, Washington
Featured In: 11 Shamrock-Shaped Recipes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- Dash salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Green food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and extracts.
- Combine the flour, almonds and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into a 10-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Combine the icing ingredients; decorate cookies as desired. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pot o' Gold Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2008 , p13
Reviews for Pot o' Gold Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 11, 2012
"These were amazing! Love them Love them Love them."
Reviewed Mar. 21, 2011
"These cookies wre good, however, I did not get the 44 serving, probably I made them too large. I used Wilton cookie icing to save time. It worked well and the cookies looked great."