With fresh tomatillos, green chilies and hominy, this hearty, healthy soup nods to authentic Mexican fare. Family and friends frequently request it when they’re invited for dinner.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cubed
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Johnsonville® Chicken Sausage Cajun Style, sliced
- 8 tomatillos, husks removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and
- cook on low for 8-10 hours or until pork is tender. Sprinkle with
- cilantro if desired.
- Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.