- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches)
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- Minced fresh parsley and shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add 3 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, tomato paste, vinegar and seasonings.
- Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms. Place mushrooms, stem side up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with remaining garlic. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Place spinach in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until wilted.
- Divide spinach among four plates; top with mushrooms. Fill mushrooms with ratatouille; sprinkle with parsley and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Portobellos with Ratatouille
Sort By :
My family enjoys Ratatouille anyway, so I thought I'd give this recipe a try. It was truly an elegant way to serve it, and definitely something I will use for special dinners. I liked how the small amount of cayenne kicked up the flavor without overloading it.
Tips when making: make sure your skillet is big enough, and add in the tomato paste to get it incorporated well before adding the other vegetables.
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >
- Spinach Recipes >