Portobello Waffles with Balsamic Syrup Recipe
For a delightful breakfast or brunch surprise, serve crisp golden waffles that feature portobello mushrooms and bacon in the batter. They're topped with tangy goat cheese butter and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. (This creative recipe took first place in the Mushrooms Every Day, Every Way contest "Fun Fungi" category).—David Bridges, Shreveport, Louisiana
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup. In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon and drippings to a small bowl; cool slightly. Add butter and goat cheese; beat until blended.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender; cool slightly. Place 1/4 cup mushrooms in a food processor. Cover and process until very finely chopped. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, thyme, pepper and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil and chopped mushrooms; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cubed mushrooms.
- 3. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with goat cheese butter and balsamic syrup. Yield: 16 waffles (1 cup butter and 1/3 cup syrup).
Reviews for Portobello Waffles with Balsamic Syrup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC