VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat water and broth and keep warm. In a large saucepan, saute shallots and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until shallots are tender. Add the rice, thyme, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.)
Add mushrooms and Parmesan cheese; stir gently until cheese is melted. Garnish each serving with a heaping tablespoon of Mascarpone. Serve immediately.
Freeze option: Before adding mascarpone cheese, freeze cooled risotto mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Garnish as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Portobello Risotto with Mascarpone in Easy Italian Cookbook 2013 2013, p114