Portobello Pockets Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 each medium sweet yellow and red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 8 pita breads (6 inches), cut in half
- 1. In a large resealable bag, combine the first 11 ingredients. Add the mushrooms, peppers, onion and zucchini; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir the vegetable mixture over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in cheese; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Stuff each pita half with 1/2 cup vegetable-cheese mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
2 stuffed pita halves equals 272 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.